For upcoming programs, click here.
All of the documents linked to on this page are in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
9/6/2018 -- The Next Stage of Community Support - Getting the Most out of Advocacy & Fund Raising with Libby Post, President/Strategist-in-Chief, Communication Services
- Slides from Presentation
- Revised Handout re: Upcoming 2018 Trustee Events
- For more information on fundraising, annual appeals, etc., click here for the WLS Development Wiki
6/5/2018 -- Budget with a Mission with Robert Cordero, CPA, Partner & Independent School Practive Leader, PKF O'Connor Davids; and Susan Barossi, CPA, PKF O'Connor Davies
- Slides from Presentation
- Library Journal: Doing Fine(s): Fines & Fees by Jennifer A. Dixon
- Handout re Upcoming 2018 Trustee Events
10/3/2017 -- Strategies for Effecting Meetings with Cathy Draper, WLS President
6/7/2017 -- Understanding Nonprofit Financial Statements with Fran Feuerman, Chief Financial Officer
4/27/2017 -- Board Meeting Minutes & Open Meetings Law with Elise Burke, WLS Executive Assistant
- Slides from presentation
- Open Meetings Law Website Compliance Spreadsheet by Edward Canora & Joe Maurantonio (Excel spreadsheet)
11/17/2016 -- WLS's 57th Annual Meeting with featured speaker Alison Macrina, Library Acitivist & Director of the Library Freedom Project
- Slides from Alison Macrina's Presentation
- Event Program
- Movie of WLS 2016 Move from Tarrytown to Elmsford (MP4 video file)
11/5/2015 -- WLS 56th Annual Meeting & Interactive Presentation Panel on Library Trends: New Ideas to Engage Your Community
- Event Summary
- Digital version of the WLS 2014-15 Report: Empowering Libraries to Inform, Enrich, and Engage
6/24/2015 -- Renovation or New Construction? Lessons from the Field on Making the Right Decision -- with Raymond Beeler, cofounder of Gallin Beeler Design Studio Architects, PLLC, and Judith Lockman, Public Library Consultant
- Committee on Open Government website
- Open Meetings Law (OML) section
- Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) section
- Educational Videos by Bob Freeman
- Advisory Opinion Index by Key Phrase
11/20/2014 -- Keynote speech given at the WLS 55th Annual Meeting by Kerri Willette, New York's first Empire State Digital Network Manager
10/7/2014 -- Emerging Technologies
- Creating the Library's Future with Norm Jacknis, Trustee, WLS; President, Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO); Senior Fellow, Intelligent Community Forum
- Library Makerspaces: Creating, Justifying and Funding Makerspaces @ the Library with Pat Brigham, WLS Director of Development
- Makerspace Technology @ the Library with Rob Caluori, WLS Director of Information Technology
4/3/2014 -- Creating Signature Events with Cassie Guthrie, Executive Director, Pioneer Library System
If you come up with an idea for or decide to have your own Signature Event, please let Cassie Guthrie or Elise Burke at WLS know.
- Creating Signature Events Planning Worksheet (DOCX)
- Creating Signature Events Budget Worksheet (DOCX)
10/2/2013 -- Strategies for Sustainable Funding by Rebekkah Smith Aldrich
- Powerpoint Presentation Slides and Reference Materials
- Westchester County Map of Public Library Service Areas from New York State Library's Division of Library Development
- WLS Library Types & Budget Vote Information as of 2012
6/11/2013 -- NYS Library Webinar: What Every Trustee Should Know by Gerald Nichols
4/3/2013 -- Assuming Responsibility for Tomorrow: Library Trusteeship in the New Normal with Jerry Nichols, Director of the Palmer Institute for Public Library Organization and Management
10/3/2012 -- Plain Speaking about the Law that applies to Public Libraries by James K. Riley, Esq.
"Who, What, Where and When of Public Library Law"
On Page 4 of the above handout, Mr. Riley references a case involving the Sacramento (CA) Public Library. In his most recent Librarian Update #10, New York State Librarian Bernie Margolis also referenced the same case with further details about the settlement reached as well as other similar cases. (Librarian Update #10 —See "On the Legal Front")
On Page 5, a 90-day Notice of Claim is mentioned. Read more about that here.
On Page 9, the policies of North Central Regional Library District in the State of Washington are referenced. You can view that information here.
6/12/2012 -- Everything you Wanted to Know about Basic Accounting, but were Afraid to Ask with Andrew Silverstein, CPA, Partner, Dorfman Abrams Music
9/8/2011 -- Increasing the Relevance & Value of Your Library Through Branding - With a Focus on Strategic Planning by James Keller, former Chief Marketing Officer for the Queens Library and President of J.A. Keller & Associates, Inc., a branding/marketing consultancy.
7/26/2011 -- Starting an eReader Lending Program at Your Library by Rob Caluori, IT Manager at the Westchester Library System.
11/9/2010 -- Keynote speech given at the WLS 51st Annual Meeting by Maureen O'Connor, former Chief Operating Officer at Queens Public Library.
10/20 & 10/21/2010 -- Positioning Your Library as an Essential Service with Libby Post, President/Chief Executive Officer of Communication Services.
6/23/2010 -- Open Meetings Law and Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) with Robert J. Freeman, Executive Director of New York State's Committee on Open Government.
NYS Committee on Open Government Website: Watch instructional videos with Bob Freeman on Open Meetings Law and FOIL.
4/7/2010 -- Trustees & Directors: Roles and Responsibilities by Jerry Nichols, Director, Palmer School of Library and Information Science. (Powerpoint)
8/26/2009 -- Re-evaluating Director Evaluation by Josh Cohen, Executive Director of Mid-Hudson Library System; 2008-09 President of New York Library Association.
10/1/2008 -- Trustees and Directors: Roles and Responsibilities by Jerry Nichols.
6/5/2008 -- Legal Issues for Library Boards by Jerry Nichols.
2/7/2008 -- Financial Management of Public Libraries; The Budgeting Process by Siobhan Reardon.
10/3/2007 -- Capital Campaigns by Rob Miss and Gae Savino.
6/20/2007 -- Annual Giving: A Roadmap for Development by Rob Miss and Gae Savino.
3/21/2007 -- Board Members Roles and Responsibilities by Rob Miss and Gae Savino.