The internet is a great search tool for job seekers. You can post your resume, view job postings on commercial job boards, research industries and companies, apply directly to a company online, obtain job search advice, and network with peers in association discussion forums. Browse these selected websites to get you started in a job search.
Company & Industry Information
- Dun and Bradstreet – Business news and trends; free and fee-based services.
- Fortune 500 – Listing of Fortune 500 Companies
- Hoover’s Online – Information on public and private companies; free and fee-based services.
- WetFeet – Information on companies, careers and industries as well as helpful advice for job seekers.
Education and Training
- CollegeGrad.com – College search which allows browsing by various criteria.
- FinAid – Free, comprehensive and independant guide to student financial aid.
- LearningExpress Library 3.0 -Interactive, online learning platform of practice tests and tutorials to help individuals success on academic and licensing tests.
- Masters in Education Online – Provides a complete, easy to understand guide to earning a Master’s Degree in education.
- Petersons: The Education & Career Center. – Information on colleges, graduate schools, careers, jobs and more.
- Teach Tomorrow – a comprehensive site for those thinking about a career in teaching, students looking for a teaching degree program, and teachers who are relocating or looking to continue their education.
- University of Fashion – Learn fashion design online from top NYC fashion college instructors and fashion industry pros.
- Westchester Library System Education Database – Searchable database of over 50 graduate, undergraduate and vocational schools offering over 300 subjects in Westchester.
- Job-Hunt – A meta-list of online job search resources and services.
- JobHuntersBible.com – Supplement to the book, What Color Is Your Parachute?
- Weddle’s – Free association directory, content about online job searching, and links to User’s Choice best Internet sites.
Government Occupational Resources
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Resources, surveys, publications and regional information.
- CareerZone – Up-to-date information from the Dept. of Labor on over 1,000 occupations; also has resources for students and educators.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook – Describes about 250 occupations in detail.
- O*Net – The O*Net database takes the place of the Dictionary of Occupational Titles as the nation’s primary source of occupational information.
- U.S. Department of Labor – Link to America’s Job Bank and other useful government information resources.
- Careerbuilder.com – Power resources for job seekers and employers alike.
- Careers.org – Links to job listings at large employers’ sites, in major newspapers and on newsgroups.
- City & State Careers – Lists features careers in government, policy, advocacy, communications, business, nonprofit and more. Bolstered list of jobs in New York.
- ComputerJobs.com – Computer-related job opportunities and career-related content for information technology professionals.
- Dice – Connects technology professionals with companies and staffing firms.
- Elance.com – Find freelance jobs or hire freelancers.
- ExecuNet – Fee-based site providing jobs, knowledge and networking connections for executives and senior-level managers at $100k+.
- Flipdog – A career management site with information on different fields, job openings and information on employers.
- Indeed – Search engine that aggregates jobs from other job boards and companies.
- Monster – Interactive database for listing and locating job opportunities with America’s hottest companies. Resume building services available.
- MonsterCollege – Partners with university career centers nationwide to provide job listings to students and recent graduates.
- NationJob – Full-service site with over 50,000 opportunities for job seekers; has a great job agent, P.J. Scout
- Net-Temps – Job posting board specializing in the staffing industry serving direct placement and temporary (contract) professionals in a variety of fields.
- Neuvoo – A job search engine that indexes jobs directly from companies’ career websites, placement agencies and job boards.
- SimplyHired.com – Explore millions of jobs with just one search.
- WestchesterCountyJobs – A local independent job board for jobseekers and employers of Westchester and Putnam County.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education – Content and listings of all positions available in the current week’s edition.
- Craigslist – Local community classifieds and forums – a place to find jobs, housing, goods and services for free.
- Crain’s New York Business – Mix of business news, feature stories and resource lists.
- New York Times – General news, business news and job openings.
- NewsLink – Links to thousands of web sites for newspapers, journals, media, etc.
- Wall Street Journal/Careers – Business news and columns on a variety of topics.
Resources for Career Professionals
- American Counseling Association (ACA) – Dedicated to the growth and development of the counseling profession and those who are served.
- American Society for Training and Development – The world’s largest professional association dedicated to the training and development field.
- National Career Development Association – A founding division of the American Counseling Association whose mission is to promote the career development of all people over the life span.
- Society for Human Resource Management – The world’s largest association devoted to human resource management.
- Glassdoor – Reviews, salaries and benefits from employees at thousands of companies. Helps you find a job and company you love; also offers job listings.
- Salary.com – Provides compensation information to job candidates through the Salary Wizard, the Salary Center suite of tools, and the customized Personal Salary Report.
- Facebook – Helps you find old friends and connect and share with the people in your life.
- LinkedIn – An interconnected network of experienced professionals that you can collaborate with to exchange information, get job leads and accomplish your goals.
- Twitter – A real-time short messaging service that works over multiple networks and devices.
- Coolworks.com – Offbeat opportunities along with great summer, seasonal and non-traditional jobs.
- ExOffenderReentry.com – One-stop resource center for corrections and re-entry success.
- Green Jobs Ready – Offers the latest news and resources on breakthrough green jobs training programs.
- HigherEdJobs – Lists open positions at colleges and universities.
- Idealist.org – Community of nonprofit and volunteering services.
- IMDiversity.com – One-stop career site serving the needs of all minorities.
- LatPro.com – Employment services for Spanish and Portuguese-speaking professionals.
- Meetup – World’s largest network of social groups. Useful for job seekers who wish to network since allows people to self-organize.
- RetirementJobs.com – Identifies companies most suited to older workers and matches them with that population.
- Saludos.com – Only web site devoted exclusively to promoting careers and education for Hispanics.
- Seniors4Hire – Offers positions for older workers ranging from executive to clerical.
- Telecommuting Jobs – Telecommuting resources to assist workers with finding appropriate employment.
- Women’s Employment Network – Job placement and career development site focusing on professional women.
- TriStateJobs.com – Recruitment site for jobseekers and hiring professionals in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.
- VetJobs.com – Employment assistance and resources for veterans.