College Readiness Workshop Series
Your library can get you ready for college.
Attend our College Readiness Series this fall. Four sessions address getting into college; the fifth helps you plan for managing finances after you leave. Expert-led sessions include:
- SAT vs. ACT – These two entrance exams, while similar, have subtle differences between them that can help you best showcase your academic skills. Learn how to choose between the two, and how to think about the optional essay.
- College Applications–Where Do I Go From Here? – The college application process is not complex, but it does include a lot of moving parts. Learn the best way to approach college fairs, tours, interviews, and choosing a major.
- The College Essay–Tips, Tricks and How to Present Your Best Self – The college essay is the central showpiece of a student’s application. Learn the practical steps of how to write a strong essay and choose a topic that showcases your best self.
- College Financing – Learn what is required to complete the FAFSA and explore different sources of aid – grants, scholarships, loans, and NYS programs that can help you out – before and after graduation.
- Student Loan Repayment – Have you gone to college and need help with your student loans? Learn about available repayment plans,forbearances, deferments, loan consolidation, rehabilitation and student load forgiveness. Find out about ways to bring your loan out of default and stopping wage garnishment.
The series is offered throughout the fall at four libraries – Ossining Public Library, White Plains Public Library, Yonkers Public Library Grinton I. Will and Riverfront Branches. Pick the day and time that works for you. No registration is required. All college bound teens and parents are welcome.
Please promote this event in your community; a flyer with all program dates is available here.
Yonkers Public Library – Riverfront Branch
1 Larkin Center
Mondays 4:00 – 5:30 pm
September 18 – SAT vs. ACT
September 25 – College Applications
October 30 – College Essay
Thursdays 4:00 – 5:30 pm
October 19 – Financing your Education
October 26 – Student Loan Repayment
Yonkers Public Library – Grinton I. Will Branch
1500 Central Park Avenue
Tuesdays 4:00 – 5:30 pm
September 12 – SAT vs. ACT
September 19 – College Applications
October 3 – College Essay
November 21 – Financing Your Education
November 28 – Student Loan Repayment
White Plains Public Library
100 Martine Avenue
Wednesdays 6:30 – 8:00 pm
September 27 – SAT vs. ACT
October 4 – College Applications
October 11 – Financing your Education
October 25 – College Essay
November 8 – Student Loan Repayment
Ossining Public Library
53 Croton Avenue
Thursdays 7:00 – 8:30 pm
September 14 – SAT vs. ACT
September 21 – College Applications
October 12 – Financing your Education
October 26 – College Essay
November 9 – Student Loan Repayment
You can find useful guides and guidance at your local library. You can also go now to the Westchester Library System’s plain language learning portal – FirstFind.org – for more information on why and how to go to college. Go to http://www.firstfind.org/go-to-college/.